Online Enrolment FAQs


Who is eligible to enrol online?

Online enrolment is available to all students studying with UHI Moray and within UHI (the University of the Highlands and Islands)

Why do I have to re-enrol every year?

All students are required to re-enrol annually.  If you do not enrol your student rights (such as library and IT) will be revoked.  Annual enrolment also ensures that you agree to our regulations.  By enrolling online you have control over the accuracy of your own data, it also reduces queueing at Induction at the start of term.

Why do you ask for so many personal details?

We ask only for information that we are required to collect by law or that we need to collect for our statutory returns and/or funding purposes.  Your data is always held in a secure location and is mostly used to determine funding information for you, to ensure we meet your needs or to return statistical information about the student population.

Access and when to complete online enrolment

When can I enrol online?

You will be sent information either by letter or email to your student email address and/or personal email address advising of when online enrolment is available.

How do I enrol online?

You need to log into UHI Records to enrol online. UHI Records can be found at Log in using your student ID and password. Your first time logging in you will be sent a computer-generated password and then asked to set a new password.

This will access your 'Student Hub' screen and you will see an option for '2021/22 - Online enrolment for students' under the ‘Enrolment Status, Information To Do' list.  Please select this and review and update your details.  This should take approximately ten minutes.

You will have a green tick under 'Enrolled' when you have successfully completed the online enrolment.

What happens if I cannot log into UHI Records?

If you get an error message at the log in stage then you should contact the helpdesk via the Self-Service Portal: or email:

When contacting the helpdesk please quote your student number and the error message you are receiving. 

What happens if I log in but cannot see the link to enrol online?

Once you log into UHI Records you should see a link to enrol online on the Student Hub and under the 'Enrolment Status, Information To Do' section.  If you cannot see this please contact our Admissions Team, quoting your student number and advising that you cannot see the link to enrol online.

Can I request a paper copy of the enrolment form to complete instead?

Generally no.  We understand sometimes that it may be difficult for some people to complete forms online.  If this is the case, you will need to contact our Admissions Team at, or call 01343 576000 to make alternative arrangements for your enrolment.

When I log in, I am asked to confirm my course but I am not sure which one I should choose?

On logging in, please ensure that you pick the course on which you are planning to enrol and click the "Select for Session" button.  If you have done this, or are undertaking more than one course with UHI and don’t see this prompt, please contact the IT helpdesk.  Once you have logged into UHI Records you may be prompted to select your course if you have enrolled on more than one course with UHI and its partners.

Online enrolment questions

What if my course details are not correct?

On the first enrolment screen you will be presented with details of what the system thinks is your current course.  If any of the details presented on this screen are not correct, contact our Admissions Team at or call 01343 576000.

What if my course details are not correct?

On the first enrolment screen you will be presented with details of your name and date of birth.  If any of the details presented on this screen are not correct, contact our Admissions Team at or call 01343 576000.

I am a higher education (HE) student and don't know where I want to sit my exams?

You have the option to specify where you would like to sit your exams, this can usually be at any of the different UHI partners.  If you don't know where you want to sit your exams yet, don't worry.  Choose your current site and if you change your mind during the year contact your local campus registry office as soon as you know the new location.

I am unsure how to classify my term time accommodation.

  • Institution maintained property - refers to residences owned by UHI or one of its partner campuses.
  • Parental/carer home - this can be a property rented or owned by your parents/guardians.
  • Not attending the institution (exchange / overseas) - for full-time and sandwich students not currently in attendance at UHI because they are on industrial placement or language year abroad.
  • Own home (bought or rented) - this can be a property rented or owned by yourself.
  • Accommodation rented for term time only - refers to a more temporary arrangement e.g. where a number of students each rent a room in the same house on a yearly basis.

What is my “Highest qualification on entry”?

This is the highest qualification you had before you started your course.

For example, if you entered an HNC course with Scottish Highers and gain the HNC at UHI and then decided to come back to complete an HND, when enrolling for the HND you would enter your highest qualification on entry as Scottish Highers and not the HNC.

What is my “Socio-Economic Background”?

This is based on your occupation if you are aged 21 and over at the start of your course, or the occupation of your parent/carer who earns the most if you are under 21.  If you or your parent/carer is retired or unemployed, this is based on the most recent occupation.  This information will be used by various government agencies to help shape education policy in Scotland and the UK, and they have supplied the categories and definitions.

What is my occupation?

If you are under 21, please give the occupation of your parent/carer who earns the most.  If they are retired or unemployed, give their most recent occupation. If you are 21 or over, please give your own occupation.

We realise that not all occupations are available on this drop down box; unfortunately this is something over which we have no control.  Occupation details are dictated to us by census data and returned to Statutory Bodies to whom we are obliged under law to provide this information.  If you cannot find your exact occupation please choose something as close to your actual occupation as you can.

I don't know my Scottish Candidate number.

It would be helpful if you know your Scottish Candidate number; however, if you are unsure please leave this blank.  This is only relevant to Scottish students, if you are an international student or from outside Scotland it will be unlikely that you have a Scottish Candidate Number.

What is a dependant?

A dependant is someone who relies on you for support, aid, or financial assistance.

What sort of publicity might my details be used for?

The only personal details that UHI Moray will release regarding students is names of graduates.  If you do not want your name released to the news media when you graduate please let our Admissions Team know, or tick the appropriate box.

Why do you want to know if I can speak/write/read Gaelic?

UHI supplies this information to the Scottish Government, as well as using it internally to inform our Gaelic policies and provision.

There is no suitable option for my educational background.

For students studying an HNC, HND or Degree, we are asked to supply one of our 3rd party bodies (HESA) with information as to whether you have been admitted to the current course with advanced standing i.e. with an SQA HNC or HND.

The options that we can return to them are:

  • I have an HNC obtained at a Further Education College
  • I have an HNC obtained at a Higher Education Institute
  • I have an HNC obtained at a UHI college
  • I have an HND obtained at a Further Education College
  • I have an HND obtained at a Higher Education Institute
  • I have an HND obtained at a UHI college
  • I do not have an HNC or HND

What if I am not sure who is paying for my studies?

If you are a student studying for an HNC, HND or Degree and believe that SAAS will be covering your studies but they have not confirmed yet please enter SAAS for the meantime and we will contact SAAS who will confirm with us.

If the party who is paying for your studies is not included in the list you must contact your local Student Records Team to inform them of the details as your enrolment will not be made current until your finances have been confirmed.

If more than one party is paying for your studies you must contact your local Admissions Team to discuss this.


The declaration is an important section in your enrolment with UHI Moray and the University of the Highlands and Islands, as this acts as a contract between you and UHI.  If you have a problem with any of the terms used in the declaration please contact the Admissions Team who can discuss this with you.  You will not be allowed to finalise your enrolment until you have clicked to confirm that you have read and understood the details of the declaration.

What if I receive an error message and cannot complete the enrolment?

If at any point you get an error message please check back over the form as it will highlight the question/s that has an error.  If you cannot clear this error please contact the Admissions Team who will help talk you though the data that is expected.

After completing online enrolment 

What happens once I complete my online enrolment?

Once you have completed your online enrolment you will still need to chat with the Admissions Team to get your current student card and confirm your finance details (you may be asked for proof of your finance for the course, please ensure that you take this with you).

Why is module selection a separate activity?

Online module selection is only available currently for UHI degree students.  If you have not yet made your choices, once you finish enrolment, please go back to the Student Hub and click on ‘Module Selection’.

What happens if I complete online enrolment over the summer break then I am unable to start my studies/change my mind about studying at UHI Moray?

If you can no longer take/no longer want your place please contact the Admissions Team by emailing or calling 01343 576000 to inform them as soon as possible as you may still be billed for your course if you do not notify us.  This will also help us to look at re-allocating your place to someone who may have previously lost out on a place.

Why am I being surveyed about online enrolment?

We use the data that you provide in your survey to help make online enrolment a better, easier process.  Please take a moment to let us know how you found online enrolment so we can keep the good bits and make the not so good bits easier for people enrolling next time.