Moray Game Jam returns for a 7th Year
UHI Moray are delighted to be hosting the 7th Moray Game Jam from Friday 15th – 17th March 2024
Started in 2014 as the UK’s most northerly Game Jam, based on the campus of UHI Moray, the Moray Game Jam brings together gaming enthusiasts from across the country, industry leaders and educators for 48-hours of creativity, collaboration, and fun. The purpose of the Jam is to attract teams from around Scotland to compete over 48 hours to create a video or board game based on a specific theme.
The event is open to solo entrants or teams of up to 5 individuals. Applicants must be 16 plus and anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by someone aged 18 plus. Overnight accommodation [room only], a buffet lunch on the Friday and the Sunday and snacks throughout the weekend are provided.
The 2024 Game Jam will include a range of educational workshops delivered by professionals working in the industry on Saturday 16th March. These include:
- Brian Baglow – Founder and Director of the Scottish Games Network and Scottish Games Week –‘How your Game Jam Game can make you a millionaire’
- Gary Groves – AI researcher – Scottish Association for Marine Science – ‘Rules Are Fun’.
- Finlay McDonald – Code Wizards – An Introduction to 3D Modelling using Blender.
The judges are from a wide range of specialisms in the field including:
- Laura Cress – Gaming and Technology Journalist – Streamer
- Andrew Mulholland – co founder of Hunted Cow Games – Elgin
- Martin Thomas – CTO – Code Wizards
- Brian Baglow - Founder and Director of the Scottish Games Network and Scottish Games Week.
- Christopher Acornley – Computing Lecturer, UHI Perth
- Dr Malcolm Clark - Deputy Head of Curriculum [STEM], UHI Moray.
On Sunday 17th March from 2pm – 4pm the increasingly popular Gaming Playground takes place where members of the public can try out the games which have been developed over the weekend and vote for their favourite. The Gaming Playground is a popular attraction for families.
The event is also supported by a range of sponsors without whom the event would be happen. The sponsors for far for 2024 event include:
- The Little Lunchbox,
- Code Wizards,
- J Thomson Printers,
- Hunted Cow Games,
- HN Media,
- Lifestyle magazine
A number of the winning prototypes from previous Jams have been developed into commercial projects. The Jam also provided ideal opportunities for young people, parents and students to gain valuable practical insight into the computing and creative industries.
For more information about this exciting and educational weekend and to sign up to enter the competition or to book you place for the workshops: