Student Support

Our dedicated Student Services team provide personalised support for all applicants and will support you throughout your student journey. They will be your first port of call for help with everything from registration to graduation and beyond. Staff here can give you advice and guidance on courses, careers, accommodation and other issues.

Get in touch:

Looking for disability support, study skills or mental health and wellbeing support? Meet our Inclusive Learning Team.

Close up photo of the roof of our student services centre

Student Services Centre and Library

Sited over two open access floors, the Student Services Centre is a great place to study. You can choose from computer workstations, individual study desks, docking stations to bring in your own laptop, a lapsafe cabinet to loan a laptop, and sound-proof study pods.

The Library offers a huge range of books, journals, e-books and other media. As a student, you can request books from other libraries within the UHI’s 10 institutions through an inter-site loan system. You can access subject and reference databases online through the UHI network. Our library management system makes it easier to search and reserve books.

We have a self-issue kiosk so that you can self-issue and return books. We also have a library app called UHI Meescan that you can download and use to self-issue books available on both iOS and Android.

The centre is open 8.45am - 4.30pm, Monday through Thursday, and 8.45am - 4.00pm on Fridays.


Learning Development Worker (LDW) and Personal Academic Tutor (PAT)

As a UHI Moray student, you will either be assigned a Learning Development Worker (LDW) or Personal Academic Tutor (PAT) depending on the SCQF level of your course.

LDWs support further education students (SCQF level 1 to 6) and PATs support higher education students (SCQF level 7 to 12).

Your LDW/PAT will ensure you have all the help and support you need to be successful in your studies. They will be your first point of contact should you need any support, and if they can't help directly, they will ensure you have access to the right specialist support service within UHI.


Student guidance

Our Student Guidance service is run by a supportive and friendly team who are here to ensure that your time here is as enjoyable and successful as possible. We aim to make your life easier, take away the potential minefield of queries, worries and concerns you may have, and give you all the support and advice you many need.

Whether it’s help with your course choice, progression, accommodation, advice on career and employment opportunities, or perhaps you have concerns about your health or a personal relationship. No matter what the issue is, our door will always be open, and you can relax in the knowledge that you’re in a safe and confidential environment. We also offer a Counselling service where you can be referred by the guidance staff.


Careers advice

We can help students to learn more about themselves to enhance and complement what they are doing in their academic studies. Each learner is supported to consider how prepared they are for employment, helping each learner to more effectively target and prepare for the employment market. Our Student Guidance team can help you:

  • find a career that matches your skills, interests and abilities
  • choose an appropriate course for your chosen career
  • plan your future career through and beyond your studies

Alternatively you may wish to contact the local Career Service Skills Development Scotland in Elgin, or UHI Moray students studying a higher education level course can contact the UHI Careers centre.


Student health and wellbeing

We want to help ensure your physical and mental health is protected whilst you are a student.

  • Period products > Students can access free sanitary products in all toilets on all campuses, or at Student Services, Student Residencies, Your Students' Association, and via our partnership with Hey Girls. Read the full UHI Moray free sanitary product statement.
  • Community Larder > We have a Community Larder onsite to be able to provide emergency food parcels to students in need. We can also make referrals to Moray Food Bank on your behalf.
  • Mental health and wellbeing > Adjusting to life as a student; dealing with coursework, exams and being away from home for the first time can be potentially stressful and may also intensify any pre-existing conditions. Being a student can also be very beneficial for our wellbeing; keeping us connected to peers and friends, expanding our knowledge and our opportunities and provides structure and routine to our days. We offer a variety of support for you to consider when it comes to looking after your mental health and wellbeing.

NHS Inform information on student health >


Care experienced students

Entering college or university can be a daunting experience for any student but in particular for care leavers who may not have the same support structures at home to help them through as other students do.

Carers and care leavers get tailored support before, during and after your studies. Our Student Services team have lots of experience of working with people from varied backgrounds, and we partner with external organisations, including the Quarriers and Become charities, to offer help to carers, young people living in care and those leaving care.

If a student lets us know that they are a care leaver then we can assist in helping them through their time at UHI Moray. We can help you get financial support and advice, help you settle into student life as well as a range of other things in between.

Funding information for care experienced students >


Young carers support

Caring for someone takes a lot of time, effort and commitment. If you're responsible for providing unpaid care to a family member, partner or friend, you may be able to get extra support during your studies.

The Young Carer Grant is a yearly cash payment for young carers in Scotland. How you spend the Young Carer Grant is up to you. You could use it for things like new clothes, driving lessons or a holiday. You do not need to tell us what you spend the money on. 

For more information visit the website >


Estranged students

If you are irreconcilably estranged from both of your biological or adoptive parents, or only living parent, then you would be considered an estranged student (Stand Alone definition). We are committed to providing all our students with a positive experience whilst they are studying with us and to offering the support and opportunities that help them fulfil their potential. As an institution we have signed the Stand Alone Pledge, which commits us to supporting students studying without the support or approval of a family network.

Find out more about the support available >


Other useful resources

  • Follow us on social media for the latest updates @UHIMoray
  • Too Good To Go is an anti-food waste app that lets you buy unsold food from businesses at a discounted price
  • The Community Larder within our Student Services Centre provides emergency food parcels to students in need
  • UNiDAYS offers students free discounts on food, fashion, fitness, technology and much more  
  • Cost of Living Support Scotland is the official government website for cost of living advice
View our guide to funding

Depending on your personal circumstances there are a wide range of bursaries, grants and allowances available to fund your studies. Our Student Finance Advisors can advise you on all aspects of, from tuition fees and bursaries to help with housing, childcare and travel costs.

Study support

Your personal success is very important to us and our Inclusive Learning Team is here to ensure that you make the most of your potential. We work closely with students to put together the appropriate support that you need, ranging from dyslexia support, reading, writing, spelling and grammar, disability support and more.


We understand that starting a new course means you’ll be given a lot of information. We can help you find out what to expect and what you need to do before starting your course.