SWAP Access to Nursing SCQF Level 6
What is special about this course?
As people live longer, demand for qualified workers in health and social care continues to grow across our region, Scotland and the rest of the developed world creating opportunities for work in fields relating to:
- social care
- health promotion across the NHS, local authority or private companies.
This course is part of the Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP) which runs in partnership with colleges and universities in the east of Scotland to promote and provide the key skills and entry requirements you need to progress to higher education within health and social care. This course aims to:
- equip you with a thorough knowledge of human growth and development
- develop an awareness of the skills required when working with varying groups of clients
- build the foundations to a career in either nursing, health or social care through theoretical study
- This course is an ideal introduction if you have been out of education for more than three years
- You will gain skills and theoretical knowledge to help you progress on to further study or into employment
- SWAP 'profile grades' are based on continuous assessment, not final exam results
- Alongside academic units, you will work through a variety of personal development and study skills materials aimed at helping you develop the skills and confidence you will need to succeed at university level study.
- Been out of education for five or more years (if you have qualifications at Higher level) OR
- Three or more years (if your qualifications are below Higher level).
You must demonstrate in your personal statement your experience and commitment to working in this field.
Course content includes:
- Healthy Eating
- HIV, Hepatitis B and C Infections
- Understanding of Mental Health and Mental Illness
- Caring for People with Dementia
- Prevention of Infection
- Continuation of Life
- Child Protection
- Care: Human Development
- Care: Social Influences
- Care: Values & Principles
- Health Promotion
Study and Skills events are hosted by our partner universities, along with industry specific guest speakers.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
You will study through a combination of face-to-face classes on campus and remote learning via our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), with support from your lecturers.
How long will my course last?1 Year
Classes take place between the hours of 9.00am and 2.30pm.
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Moray
Normally, if you are studying full time for the first time and are Ordinarily Resident in Scotland your course fees will be covered through the information you provide on your course application.
If you are studying part time and are on low income or in receipt of certain benefits your course fees may be covered by a fee waiver.
If you are not Ordinarily Resident in Scotland, you may need to pay course fees.
Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information
|Course fees 2022/23*||Scotland||Rest of UK||International|
|Further Education - Full time (SVQs and NQs)||£1,740||£6,960||£6,960|
|Further Education - Part time (SVQs and NQs - per single credit unit)||£88||£352||£352|
*The fees for 2023-24 have not yet been confirmed.
Our Student Finance Advisers can advise you on all aspects of student funding. The support available depends upon your personal circumstances.
Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information.
Normally, if you are studying full time for the first time and are Ordinarily Resident in Scotland your course fees will be covered through the information you provide on your course application. If you are studying part time and are on low income or in receipt of certain benefits your course fees may be covered by a fee waiver. If you are not Ordinarily Resident in Scotland, you may need to pay course fees. Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On completion of this course, you may choose to enter employment in a health or care environment. Alternatively, you may be able to progress onto:
- HNC Healthcare Practice
- BSc Nursing at UHI
- Pre-registration Nurse education at another institution
- Other health related courses
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for SWAP Access to Nursing SCQF Level 6
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Moray. UHI Moray operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.