Sport and Fitness: College Certificate SCQF Level 6
What is special about this course?
The world of sport and fitness offers a wide range of exciting and satisfying careers across coaching, outdoor adventure tourism and health promotion.
This course will equip you with a balance of vocational skills related to the areas of fitness and sport, providing an integrated programme of theory and practice to enable you to work effectively in a variety of sectors in the sports and fitness industry at a leadership level.
You will work closely with local sport and fitness providers as well as local authorities to deliver sport and fitness sessions in the community.
You will gain the appropriate skills to enter employment initially at operative level within leisure and sports centres, however, you should have developed the skills to take advantage of coaching and supervisory posts.
It is also possible to study Higher English alongside this sport and fitness course – if you wish to study Higher English you must indicate this clearly within your personal statement when applying for the course and an extra fee will apply.
- This course is ideal to enhance your practical and theory skills
- You will have the opportunity to take part in coaching placements throughout the course
- Small student numbers mean there is a close working relationship between you and the staff
- You will benefit from strong industry connections
- You will have the opportunity to participate in a residential trip at the end of the academic year
- You will have the opportunity to enhance your confidence and leadership skills
- There may be opportunity for you to gain your National Pool Lifeguard qualification alongside other Governing Body coaching awards
Two National 4s and two National 5s (Grade A-C), to include PE and English
satisfactory attainment of a relevant SCQF Level 5.
If you do not have an appropriate PE qualification, you will be invited to attend a practical assessment.
Applications are encouraged from mature students who do not possess formal qualifications but have the skills to meet the academic demands of the course.
Category 1 PVG course: PVG Scheme membership is required to successfully achieve target qualification, where there is guaranteed contact with vulnerable groups in key elements of the course. For further information visit this webpage.
Course content includes:
- Exercise and Fitness: Free Weight
- Exercise and Fitness: Fixed Weight Training
- Exercise and Fitness: Circuit Training
- Sports: Activity and Participation Opportunities in the Community
- Sports: Investigate Activity Development Opportunities in an Organisation
- Provide Play Sessions in a Sport Environment
- Introduction to Coaching and Instruction
- Sports Science
- Sporting Activity Participation and Performance: Volleyball
- Sporting Activity Participation and Performance: Badminton
- Analyse Participants' Needs and Plan a Coaching Programme: Table Tennis
Optional units include:
- Volunteering Experience
- PE Performance
- Introduction to fitness
Kit required includes:
- PE kit
- Outdoor kit
Most of your kit and equipment costs (except stationery) may be covered by a College bursary, which you must apply for separately.
The bursary will also supply a hooded sweatshirt, polo shirt and exercise t-shirt so that you are fully equipped for the course.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
Face-to-face teaching, supported with Virtual Learning Environment engagement.
The course has an even balance of theory and practical and most classes will be delivered on campus.
Opportunities for coaching placements will be provided throughout the year
You will take part in a class residential in Semester 2. You will be required to participate in 20 hours of volunteering within a local school or sports facility.
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Moray College UHI
The good news is that depending on your personal circumstances there are a wide range of bursaries, grants and allowances available to fund your college studies.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On successful completion of this course you can progress to further study which may include an HNC/D in:
• Coaching and Developing Sport
• Fitness, Health and Exercise
• Leisure Management
• Sports Therapy
Alternatively, you can enter into employment initially at operative level within leisure and sports centres, however, you should have developed the skills to take advantage of coaching and supervisory posts.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
What our students, graduates and staff say
I really enjoy the course . The teaching staff are brilliant, the teaching is brilliant and I have met other people who are as passionate about sports, fitness and coaching as I am.
The Sport and Fitness Level 6 Course will provide you with the in depth knowledge required to further your studies at HNC level. The course focuses on Health, Fitness and Coaching and will include quite a bit of theory. For this reason we are looking for students to be motivated, hard working and have a real passion for sport.
Apply for Sport and Fitness: College Certificate SCQF Level 6
We are no longer accepting applications for 2021/22
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Moray College UHI. Moray College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.