Professional Cookery NC SCQF Level 6
What is special about this course?
This course is ideal if you wish to focus solely on cookery as it will build on existing basic skills.
The course will develop your knowledge and understanding of professional cookery whilst advancing your practical skills.
You will learn in practical kitchen and theory classroom settings, with the opportunity to gain real life experience in our Beechtree Restaurant and kitchen.
- Taught by experienced Hospitality lecturers
- Opportunity to hone existing practical skills and build on theory knowledge
- Structured and varied units featuring continuous assessment and evaluation
- Focus on employability and relevant soft skills, with work placement opportunities
- Peer learning through working alongside other levels and introducing the concept of supervision
There will be external engagement whenever possible and this might include field trips, guest lectures and involvement with campus events and functions.
- Four National 5s, one of which must be English OR
- NPA in Professional Cookery at SCQF level 6 OR
- National Certificate in Professional Cookery at SCQF level 5 OR
- Relevant SVQ at SCQF level 5 OR
- Relevant industry experience
- Applications are encouraged from prospective students without the standard entry requirements as listed above.
- Professional Cookery: Practical
- Food Hygiene for the Hospitality Industry
- Professional Cookery: Knowledge
- Professional Cookery: Kitchen Operations
- Hospitality Costing
- Health and Safety in Hospitality
- Work Placement
- Leading a Hospitality Team
A uniform and equipment are required for this course which will be supplied by UHI Moray (approx. cost £400-500). If you are eligible for a bursary these costs will be covered.
You will be asked to purchase your own smart shoes for restaurant work (up to £25). This cost will be reimbursed if you are eligible for a bursary.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
You will study through a combination of face-to-face practical lessons and theory classes on campus, supplemented by our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
How long will my course last?1 Year
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Moray
Normally, if you are studying full time for the first time and are Ordinarily Resident in Scotland your course fees will be covered through the information you provide on your course application.
If you are studying part time and are on low income or in receipt of certain benefits your course fees may be covered by a fee waiver.
If you are not Ordinarily Resident in Scotland, you may need to pay course fees.
Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information
|Course fees 2022/23*||Scotland||Rest of UK||International|
|Further Education - Full time (SVQs and NQs)||£1,740||£6,960||£6,960|
|Further Education - Part time (SVQs and NQs - per single credit unit)||£88||£352||£352|
*The fees for 2023-24 have not yet been confirmed.
Our Student Finance Advisers can advise you on all aspects of student funding. The support available depends upon your personal circumstances.
Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information.
Normally, if you are studying full time for the first time and are Ordinarily Resident in Scotland your course fees will be covered through the information you provide on your course application. If you are studying part time and are on low income or in receipt of certain benefits your course fees may be covered by a fee waiver. If you are not Ordinarily Resident in Scotland, you may need to pay course fees. Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On successful completion of this course you may:
- Progress on to the HNC in Professional Cookery.
- Enter employment in roles such as Commis Chef, Demi Chef de Partie or Chef de Partie.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Professional Cookery NC SCQF Level 6
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Moray. UHI Moray operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.