Introduction to Hospitality SCQF Level 4
What is special about this course?
This introductory course will give you an insight into a career in the Hospitality and Events industry. This course is ideal if you have little or no experience in Hospitality as it will allow you to get an introduction to the skills required for work. It covers a range of units with specific industry-related topics to develop your knowledge and skills.
- Taught by experienced hospitality lecturers
- Contains a focus on basic bakery skills
- A combination of kitchen and restaurant skills will be taught
- A focus on building confidence and other relevant essential skills
- Peer learning through working alongside other levels
There will be external engagement whenever possible. This might include field trips, guest lectures and involvements with on campus events and functions.
- Evidence that you can work at National 3/4 level in an English or related subject.
- Applications are encouraged from prospective students without the standard entry requirements as listed above.
- Hospitality: Working in the Hospitality Industry
- Hospitality: Working in the Professional Kitchen
- Hospitality: Working Front of House
- Hospitality: Introduction to Events
- Bread Making: An Introduction
- Food Preparation Techniques: An Introduction
- Food Hygiene for the Hospitality Industry
- Cookery Processes: An Introduction
- Craft Baking: An Introduction
- Cake Decoration: An Introduction
A uniform and equipment are required for this course which will be supplied by UHI Moray (approx. cost £400-500). If you are eligible for a bursary these costs will be covered. You will be asked to purchase your own smart shoes for restaurant work (up to £25). This cost will be reimbursed if you are eligible for a bursary.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
You will study through a combination of face-to-face practical lessons and theory classes on campus, supplemented by our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
How long will my course last?1 Year
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Moray
Normally, if you are studying full time for the first time and are Ordinarily Resident in Scotland your course fees will be covered through the information you provide on your course application.
If you are studying part time and are on low income or in receipt of certain benefits your course fees may be covered by a fee waiver.
If you are not Ordinarily Resident in Scotland, you may need to pay course fees.
Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information
|Course fees 2022/23*||Scotland||Rest of UK||International|
|Further Education - Full time (SVQs and NQs)||£1,740||£6,960||£6,960|
|Further Education - Part time (SVQs and NQs - per single credit unit)||£88||£352||£352|
*The fees for 2023-24 have not yet been confirmed.
Our Student Finance Advisers can advise you on all aspects of student funding. The support available depends upon your personal circumstances.
Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information.
Normally, if you are studying full time for the first time and are Ordinarily Resident in Scotland your course fees will be covered through the information you provide on your course application. If you are studying part time and are on low income or in receipt of certain benefits your course fees may be covered by a fee waiver. If you are not Ordinarily Resident in Scotland, you may need to pay course fees. Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On successful completion of this course you may:
- Progress onto the SCQF Level 5 course in Hospitality Operations.
- Enter employment in roles such as Commis Chef, Kitchen Porter or Waiter.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
“This course offers a great introduction to basic practical skills in both a kitchen and restaurant setting. It could be used as a starting point for progression through the Hospitality programmes at higher levels or to enter the industry as a Kitchen Porter or Waiter. The delivery allows for peer learning and the focus on transferable soft skills keeps many doors open for the future.”
Douglas Tucker, HATA Lecturer
Apply for Introduction to Hospitality SCQF Level 4
We are no longer accepting applications for 2022/23
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Moray. UHI Moray operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.