Hairdressing - Introduction to Foundation SCQF Level 4
What is special about this course?
If you are a school leaver or mature student returning to education this course is an ideal introduction to the world of hairdressing.
You will develop a variety of employment skills and knowledge for entry into the hairdressing industry.
This course will further develop your confidence and teamwork skills making you more employable as a Salon Junior or help you progress as you embark on your hairdressing career.
It will also prepare you for further study by providing skills required for entry into SCQF Level 5 Foundation Hairdressing.
- You will gain basic practical skills in a rewarding and creative industry
- You will study full time
- There are progression opportunities on completion of this course
- You will study within a real working environment using professional products
- Evidence that you can work at National 4 Level in two subjects (including English or equivalent).
- Applications are encouraged from prospective students without the standard entry requirements as listed above.
- You must attend a Course Information Event held prior to the course commencing.
Course content includes:
- Introduction to Foundation Colour
- Introduction to Styling and Finish the Hair
- Introduction to Shampoo & Condition
- Develop Working Relationships and Personal Growth
- Introduction to Salon Assistant Roles
- Coping Strategies and Building Resilience
- Stress Relief and Techniques
- Wellbeing & Mindfulness
- Core Skills: Communication, Numeracy, and Information and Communication Technology
You will be required to purchase a kit for this course (Kit Approx. £239.34, uniform approx. £117.18 to include tunics, trousers and shoes). If you are eligible for a bursary these costs will be covered.
Equipment required includes:
- A uniform (tunic, trousers, and shoes)
- Hairdressing toolkit
Order forms will be sent out to you once you have confirmed and accepted your offer of a place on the course.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
This is a practical based course with face-to-face practical classes on campus supplemented with our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
While we operate a commercial salon, you are encouraged to find your own clients where possible to meet the specific requirements of the portfolio.
How long will my course last?1 Year
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Moray
The good news is that depending on your personal circumstances there are a wide range of bursaries, grants and allowances available to fund your college studies.
Our Student Finance Advisers can advise you on all aspects of student funding. The support available depends upon your personal circumstances.
Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information.
Normally, if you are studying full time for the first time and are Ordinarily Resident in Scotland your course fees will be covered through the information you provide on your course application. If you are studying part time and are on low income or in receipt of certain benefits your course fees may be covered by a fee waiver. If you are not Ordinarily Resident in Scotland, you may need to pay course fees. Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On successful completion of this course, you may progress onto further study including:
- Foundation Hairdressing (SCQF Level 5)
- Foundation Barbering (SCQF Level 5)
Alternatively, you can enter employment within the hairdressing industry as a Salon Junior.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Hairdressing - Introduction to Foundation SCQF Level 4
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Moray. UHI Moray operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.