Carpentry and Joinery PDA
Course code 93K2
What is special about this course?
The PDA in Carpentry and Joinery provides invaluable practical experience and knowledge to those who aspire to other professions in Construction outside the role of a developed craftsperson, such as supervision and management.
Completion of your PDA will also give you the opportunity to progress to an HNC which will further develop your hand skills and more specialised and traditional craft skills.
- The PDA will equip you with an increased knowledge and understanding of the construction industry
- You will also advance your craft skills
- On completion you will have increased flexibility and options if you wish to progress into supervision, management or technician posts
- You will study part-time which means you can fit your studies around your work and family commitments
- This course builds on the competencies achieved through the SVQ programme
- PDA level 6 or an SVQ in a relevant trade, such as Modern Apprenticeship Carpentry and Joinery
- All applicants must be in full-time employment in the trade
Year 1 - PDA
Core modules may include:
- Complex pitched roof construction
- Complex timber stair construction
- Specialist doors
- Sustainable technology
- Technical communications
- Workshop and site setting out
Option modules may include:
- Complex in-situ timber formwork
- High class finishings
- Purpose-made fitment construction
- Windows and screens
How will I study my course?
- You will attend on a block-release basis
- You will study this course by block-release attending college for 10 weeks over a 1 year period
- For more details on how you will study this course, please contact the campus where you wish to study
How long will my course last?
- Part-time block-release : 10 weeks over a 1 year basis
Where can I study my course?
- Argyll - September starts only
- Orkney - September starts only
- Shetland - September starts only
- Other start dates may be available in some locations. For information on other start dates, and how to apply for them, please contact the campus where you wish to study
For information on costs of this course please contact the campus where you wish to study.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On successful completion of the PDA Carpentry and Joinery you will be in the position to develop your career in the construction industry.
Can I progress into further study?
Further study options may include HNC Construction Management.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Carpentry and Joinery PDA
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.