Course code 93N4
What is special about this course?
This professional development award delivers the essential skills and knowledge for a career in book-keeping or working in an accounting or financial administration role. The PDA courses are quick and cost effective to deliver, so are ideal for developing the skills of young people, graduates, and other adult learners. They are also ideal for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) so employers can enhance the skills of their employees.
- This course will allow you to develop technical and administrative knowledge relevant to book-keeping and financial accounting practice
- You will acquire manual book-keeping abilities using commercially-produced financial accounting software (SAGE Accounting and SAGE Payroll) to record accounting transactions, prepare accounting reports and process payroll
- You will be provided with access to SAGE Accounting and SAGE Payroll in order to take part in the course
- You will also develop skills in basic payroll procedures using manual and computerised systems
- Generally, entry is open to any applicant who can demonstrate, by formal qualification or experience, a reasonable expectation of successfully completing the award. It would be beneficial for students to be competent in Communication, Numeracy and IT skills to SCQF level 5
- Please contact your local campus for more information on entry requirements
Year 1 - PDA
- Recording financial information OR Recording financial transactions
- Using financial accounting software
How will I study my course?
- Part-time attendance (structured)
- Part-time attendance (unstructured)
- Part-time distance
- Most colleges deliver this course by blended learning, allowing the student the flexibility of college attendance and home study to fit around work and life commitments
- This course will be continually assessed
- For information on how you will study this course, please contact the college at which you wish to study
How long will my course last?
- Part-time: 36 weeks
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness - September start only
- West Highland
- April (Perth College UHI only): please contact the college for more information on how to apply for this start date
- Other start dates may be available in some locations. For information on other start dates, and how to apply for them, please contact the campus you wish to study with
For information on costs of this course please contact the campus where you wish to study.
What can I do on completion of my course?
The PDA in Book-keeping will prepare candidates for employment within the accounting and business services sector. The types of positions which may be taken up by candidates include: Accounting Assistants, Financial Administrators and Payroll Clerks.
Can I progress into further study?
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Book-keeping PDA
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.