Engineering Systems NC Level 6
What is special about this course?
This course has been designed to give you a thorough grounding in the engineering principles and is ideal if you would like to pursue a career at technician level, or if you would like to progress to a HNC Engineering Systems course. When you apply for this course you will choose to either follow a mechanical or electronic engineering route:
- The mechanical route will develop your skills to prepare you for the maintenance, design and manufacturing industries.
- The electronic route will develop practical applications of electronics in industry. You will also cover the necessary theory in electronic principles and maths.
If you are an existing employee in the engineering and related industries, you can access the programme on a day release basis or as part of a modern apprenticeship programme.
- You will gain a variety of skills across a range of engineering disciplines
- You can choose to study this course full or part time
- You will study at our Linkwood Technology Centre campus
- This qualification can help with gaining a Modern Apprenticeship.
- National 5s at BBDD (one of which must be Maths at B) OR
- A relevant SCQF Level 5 qualification which included maths content OR
- Successful completion of Engineering Performance (SCQF Level 5).
Course content includes:
- Mathematics: Technician 1
- Engineering: Applying Information Technology
- Engineering Systems
- Mechanical Engineering Principles
- Electrical Principles
- Process Measurement and Control: An Introduction
- Engineering Materials (Mechanical route)
- Single Phase and Three Phase Principles (Electronic route)
Plus a range of optional units including:
- Computer Aided Draughting (CAD) for Engineers
- Engineering Thermodynamics
- Pneumatics and Hydraulics
- Engineering Dynamics: An Introduction
- Computer Aided Draughting (CAD) for Engineers
- Fundamental Electronics
- Electronic Test Equipment and Measurement
- Applications of Programmable Logic Controllers
- Combinational Logic
- Sequential Logic
Equipment required includes recommended books, drawing instruments, folders, note books and a calculator.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
This is a practical based course with face-to-face classes on campus supplemented with our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
How long will my course last?
Full time: 1 year
Part time: 2 or more years
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Moray
- Technology Centre
Normally, if you are studying full time for the first time and are Ordinarily Resident in Scotland your course fees will be covered through the information you provide on your course application.
If you are studying part time and are on low income or in receipt of certain benefits your course fees may be covered by a fee waiver.
If you are not Ordinarily Resident in Scotland, you may need to pay course fees.
Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information
|Course fees 2022/23*||Scotland||Rest of UK||International|
|Further Education - Full time (SVQs and NQs)||£1,740||£6,960||£6,960|
|Further Education - Part time (SVQs and NQs - per single credit unit)||£88||£352||£352|
*The fees for 2023-24 have not yet been confirmed.
Our Student Finance Advisers can advise you on all aspects of student funding. The support available depends upon your personal circumstances.
Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information.
Normally, if you are studying full time for the first time and are Ordinarily Resident in Scotland your course fees will be covered through the information you provide on your course application. If you are studying part time and are on low income or in receipt of certain benefits your course fees may be covered by a fee waiver. If you are not Ordinarily Resident in Scotland, you may need to pay course fees. Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On successful completion of this course you can:
- Progress onto HNC Computer Aided Draughting and Design
- Progress onto HNC Engineering Systems specialising in either mechanical or electronic engineering
- Progress onto PDA Engineering (SCQF Level 7)
- Enter employment within the engineering industry.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Engineering Systems NC Level 6
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Moray. UHI Moray operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.