English National 5
What is special about this course?
Designed as a bridge towards successfully completing Higher English, this course will help you improve and develop your skills in all aspects of our wonderfully rich written language.
Taught alongside our Higher English classes you will:
- expand your language abilities and critical understanding through close reading of written materials and the studying fascinating literary works.
- improve your expertise in understanding, evaluation, comparison and analysis.
The course will also fit around your needs with face-to-face classes working alongside engaging online material that range from pre-recorded lessons to discussion boards.
- Taught alongside Higher English, effectively giving you two years to work towards achieving the qualification.
- Blended learning enables you to learn at your own pace and set your own targets for the year, as well as giving regular opportunities for speaking directly to your lecturer in the classroom.
- National 4 in English or equivalent.
- Applications are encouraged from prospective students without the standard entry requirements as listed above.
Course content includes:
- Language Study: close reading will extend your understanding of passages (key ideas, meanings), develop your ability to analyse the writer’s style (structure, word choice, tone) and help you evaluate passages by citing evidence in support of your comments. In the writing element you will be given the opportunity to write in a variety of genres and to extend your skills (stylistically and technically).
- Literary Study: you will study poetry and drama and will be introduced to a range of critical concepts and terms. You will also learn new skills in critical essay writing.
How will I study my course?
You will study through a combination of face-to-face classes on campus and remote learning via our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), with support from your lecturers.
Tutoring slots can also be booked with your lecturer if required.
How long will my course last?8 Months
Five hours per week.
Thursdays 7pm - 9pm in a face-to-face class plus three additional online study hours to be completed at a time that works best for you.
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Moray
The good news is that depending on your personal circumstances there are a wide range of bursaries, grants and allowances available to fund your college studies.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to progress onto Higher English which is a requirement for certain courses, such as teacher training.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for English National 5
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Moray. UHI Moray operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.