Biology National 5
What is special about this course?
National 5 Biology is recognised as a supporting qualification for many institutions offering Teacher Training, Health and Social Care and Sport courses. This online course is ideal for anyone wishing to develop their interest and enthusiasm for biology in a range of contexts.
Providing you with a good foundation for progression to Higher Biology or Higher Human Biology, this course will:
- help you understand how the world around you functions
- cover major areas of biology ranging from cellular to whole organism and includes the study of ecosystems
- develop scientific inquiry and investigation skills by investigating the applications of biology
- cover the key areas of biodiversity and interdependence along with the processes leading to evolution as well as food security and ethical issues.
The skills developed throughout the course will enables you to become scientifically literate citizens and be able to review the science-based claims you meet.
- You can study part time alongside your employment or another full-time course.
- Covers all the content of the National 5 course, in preparation for the exam which takes place in May
- Recognised as a supporting qualification for many institutions.
No formal entry requirements however a National 4 in a science subject may be beneficial.
Course content includes:
The key areas covered are: cell structure; transport across cell membranes; DNA and the production of proteins; proteins; genetic engineering; respiration.
Biology: multicellular organisms
The key areas covered are: producing new cells; control and communication; reproduction; variation and inheritance; transport systems — plants; transport systems — animals; absorption of materials.
Biology: life on Earth
The key areas covered are: ecosystems; distribution of organisms; photosynthesis; energy in ecosystems; food production; evolution of species.
You will be required to purchase a National 5 Biology textbook (approx .£20) and a scientific calculator (approx. £8). If you are eligible for a bursary these costs will be covered.
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
You will study online through our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) with support from your lecturers, however you will be required to attend three face-to-face sessions to complete assignments, prelim and exam.
How long will my course last?1 Academic Year
Course cost: £352
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Moray
The good news is that depending on your personal circumstances there are a wide range of bursaries, grants and allowances available to fund your college studies.
Our Student Finance Advisers can advise you on all aspects of student funding. The support available depends upon your personal circumstances.
Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Successful completion of this course provides an exit pathway to employment in a laboratory.
Alternatively, you can progress onto the following programmes:
- Any Science subject at Higher Level
- Laboratory Science at SCQF Level 6
- A Foundation Apprenticeship such as Food Manufacturing or Scientific Technologies
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Biology National 5
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Moray. UHI Moray operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.