Spirit Operations (SCQF Level 6) Modern Apprenticeship
What is special about this course?
Scotland’s food and drink sector is one of the best performing sectors of the economy with whisky and gin distilling being a key industry in Moray which continues to grow.
Developed in partnership with the National Skills Academy for Food and Drink (NSAFD), this Modern Apprenticeship is an exciting way of gaining skills and qualifications that will help start your career in spirit operations without having to study full time.
Working closely with a number of local employers across the sector, this qualification is carried out in the workplace and is assessed by completing a portfolio and assessor observation based on the day-to-day tasks undertaken.
Supported by a Training Co-ordinator, you will work towards the achievement of a SCQF level 6 qualification whilst in paid employment.
- Learn while you earn
- Recognised by industry
- Provides opportunities for career development
- No formal entry qualifications are required, but candidates will need be in employment in the food and drink industry.
- Due to the nature of this course, only persons aged 18 years and above can apply.
Course content includes:
3 Mandatory Units:
- Monitor Food Safety at Critical Control Points in Food and Drink Operations
- Monitor Health, Safety and Environmental Management Systems in Food Manufacture
- Monitor and Maintain Product Quality in Food and Drink Operations.
5 Optional units:
- Receive Full Casks, Bulk Spirit or Finished Goods in the Spirits Industry
- Despatch Bulk Spirits in the Spirits Industry
- Despatch Casked Spirits or Finished Goods in the Spirits Industry
- Carry Out Cask Disgorging Operations in the Spirits Industry
- Control Warehouse Vatting Operations in The Spirits Industry
- Contribute to The Operation of Utilities In The Spirits Industry
You may also be required to undertake core skills depending on your qualifications. This will be identified at the application stage.
There is also a requirement for the completion of at least one enhancement qualification which can either be the Institute of Brewing and Distilling (IBD) General Certificate in Distilling or the IBD General Certificate in Packaging.
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
- Work based
This course is work based where you will train towards a nationally recognised qualification while working as an employee, with support from UHI Moray.
How long will my course last?2 Years
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Moray
In most cases course fees will be covered for 16 - 19 year olds provided they are in employment. Funding may also be available for ages 20 - 24 and 25+ in certain sectors.
Please refer to our Fees and Funding section for more information.
In most cases you will be funded by Skills Development Scotland or your employer. The level of contribution depends on your age, the frameworks and sectors.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Gain future employment in the food and drink industry.
- Progress onto further studies such as HNC Applied Science or Degrees in Bioscience.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE MODERN APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAMME IN THE FIRST INSTANCE PLEASE CONTACT JACQUI TAYLOR, HEAD OF MARKETING AND EXTERNAL RELATIONS ON (01343) 576425 OR E MAIL JACQUI.TAYLOR.MORAY@UHI.AC.UK
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Moray. UHI Moray operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.