What is special about this course?
This advanced SVQ is aimed at those already in employment in a professional kitchen, or who have achieved the entrance requirements and wish to reinforce and develop their knowledge and skills. The aim of the course is to provide students with necessary modern practical skills to meet the demands of employers within the Hospitality Industry.
Students will complete a range of units, according to their interests, career ambitions and any previous studies/experience.
Relevant SCQF Level 5 (formerly SVQ Level 2) award.
Mature candidates with appropriate industrial experience will also be considered.
Units may include:
• Maintain Food Safety in a Kitchen Environment
• Cook and Finish Complex Meat Dishes
• Prepare, Cook and Finish Complex Cakes, Sponges, Biscuits and Scones
• Cook and Finish Complex Poultry Dishes
• Prepare, Cook and Finish Complex Soups
• Prepare and Cook Complex Cold Desserts
• Maintain the Health, Hygiene, Safety and Security of the Working Environment
• Prepare, Cook and Finish Complex Hot Sauces
• Prepare, Cook and Finish Dressings and Cold Sauces
• Establish and Develop Positive Working Relationships in Hospitality
• Cook and Finish Fish for Complex Dishes
• Prepare and Cook Complex Hot Desserts
How will I study my course?
- Day release
Classroom/practical training kitchen.
How long will my course last?
2 Academic Years
2 years on day release basis
Where can I study my course?
- Moray College UHI
September or January
The good news is that depending on your personal circumstances there are a wide range of bursaries, grants and allowances available to fund your college studies.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Further study may include HNC Professional Cookery.
Employment as an Assistant Chef or Chef de Partie.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.