What is special about this course?
This SVQ is aimed at those already in employment in a professional kitchen, or who have achieved the entrance requirements and wish to reinforce and develop their knowledge and skills. The aim of the course is to provide students with necessary modern practical skills to meet the demands of employers within the Hospitality industry.
Students will complete a range of units according to their interests, career ambitions and any previous studies/experience.
Relevant SCQF Level 4 award (formerly SVQ Level 1).
Mature students with appropriate industrial experience will also be considered.
Units may include:
• Maintain Food Safety in a Kitchen Environment
• Cook and Finish Meat for Basic Dishes
• Prepare, Cook and Finish Basic Hot Sauces
• Maintain Health and Safety in Hospitality
• Cook and Finish Fish Basic Dishes
• Prepare, Cook and Finish Basic Pastry Dishes
• Cook and Finish Vegetables for Basic Dishes
• Prepare, Cook and Finish Basic Soup Dishes
• Maintain and Handle Knives
• Work Effectively as Part of a Hospitality Team
• Cook and Finish Basic Poultry Dishes
• Set Up and Close Kitchen
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
- Day release
Classroom/practical training kitchen.
All units are assessed using practical observations, on-line assessments and portfolio completion.
How long will my course last?
Day release - 2 years.
Where can I study my course?
- Moray College UHI
September or January.
The good news is that depending on your personal circumstances there are a wide range of bursaries, grants and allowances available to fund your college studies.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Further study may include SVQ in Professional Cookery SCQF Level 6 (formerly SVQ Level 3).
Employment as a Commis Chef or Chef de Partie.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.