British Sign Language: Intermediate 1 SCQF Level 4
What is special about this course?
This programme delivers the requirement of the British Sign Language (Scotland) Act 2015 and the development of the British Sign Language National Plan 2017–2023.
If you already use or have a British Sign Language qualification at introduction level, this award will help you develop your ability to communicate clearly, think critically and to use your own language creatively.
This SCQF Level 4/5 award will also gain a deeper insight into the history and cultural heritage of British Sign Language.
Specific aims of this programme are to develop your:
- understanding of simple and straightforward information expressed in British Sign Language
- ability to express information in a simple and straightforward monologue using British Sign Language
- conversational skills using British Sign Language
- ability to adapt to the regional varieties of British Sign Language
- ability to use appropriate cultural conventions in British Sign Language
- understanding and use of a visual and spatial language modality (ie, sign linguistics)
- knowledge of specific historical events that have shaped the development of British Sign Language
- your knowledge of the diverse experiences of members of the Deaf Community.
- Practical based
- Certificated with a group award
- Progression routes
- Blended learning approach
British Sign Language Introduction (SCQF Level 3)
experience in basic British Sign language use.
Course content includes:
- British Sign Language: Understanding Language and Linguistics
- British Sign Language: Using Language in Context (SCQF Level 4)
- British Sign Language: History and the Deaf Community
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
Blended teaching approach to support and enhance face-to-face contact in the classroom.
How long will my course last?18 Weeks
Evening: Tuesdays, 6.30pm-8.30pm
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Moray
Tuesday, 6th Sept 2022 & Tuesday, 14th February 2023
The good news is that depending on your personal circumstances there are a wide range of bursaries, grants and allowances available to fund your college studies.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Completion of this course enables you to develop the skills to engage in conversation and interaction within the British Sign Language. You may also progress on to British Sign Language: Intermediate 2 (SCQF Level 5).
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for British Sign Language: Intermediate 1 SCQF Level 4
To apply for this course, please complete our Short Course booking form:
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Moray. UHI Moray operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.