What is special about this course?
Modern Apprenticeships offer anyone aged over 16 paid employment combined with the opportunity to train for jobs across a wide range of sectors. They are an exciting way of gaining skills and qualifications that will help to start a career without having to study full time.
All the Modern Apprenticeship frameworks are developed by the appropriate sector skills council in consultation with their industry. Modern Apprenticeship frameworks can also be used as the basis for training more established employees.
Off the job learning usually takes place through colleges or training providers.
Here at Moray College UHI we offer a range of Modern Apprenticeships across a range of sectors and work closely with a number of employers within the Highlands and Islands areas.
This SCQF Level 5 (SVQ Level 2) is aimed at those already in employment in a professional kitchen, or who have achieved the entrance requirements and wish to reinforce and develop their knowledge and skills. The aim of the course is to provide students with necessary modern practical skills to meet the demands of employers within the Hospitality industry.
Students will complete a range of units according to their interests, career ambitions and any previous studies/experience.
Candidates must be working in a professional kitchen.
Units will include:
• Maintain Food Safely When Storing, Preparing and Cooking Food
• Prepare Meat for Basic Dishes
• Cook and Finish Basic Meat Dishes
• Prepare Cook and Finish Basic Hot Sauces
• Prepare Fish for Basic Dishes
• Cook and Finish Fish for Basic Dishes
• Prepare, Cook and Finish Basic Pastry Products
• Work Effectively as Part of a Hospitality Team
• Maintain, Handle and Clean Knives
• Prepare Poultry for Basic Dishes
• Cook and Finish Basic Poultry Dishes
• Prepare Vegetables for Basic Dishes
• Cook and Finish Basic Vegetable Dishes
• Prepare, Cook and Finish Basic Soups
• Prepare, Cook and Finish Basic Hot Desserts
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Moray College UHI
The good news is that depending on your personal circumstances there are a wide range of bursaries, grants and allowances available to fund your college studies.
Funding from Skills Development Scotland to contribute towards the cost of the apprentices training under the Modern Apprenticeship programme is available for all young people aged 16 – 19 for all frameworks. Funding may also be available for young people between the ages of 20 – 24 and 25+. This is dependent on the frameworks and sectors and can change annually.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Further study may include SVQ in Professional Cookery SCQF Level 6 (formerly SVQ Level 3).
Employment as a Commis Chef or Chef de Partie.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.