What is special about this course?
This course will equip you with a balance of vocational skills related to the areas of fitness and sport, providing an integrated programme of theory
and practice to enable students to work effectively in a variety of sectors in the sports and fitness industry at a leadership level.
It is possible to study Higher English alongside the sport and fitness course - applicants wishing to study Higher English must indicate this clearly within their Personal Statement.
2 National 4s and 2 National 5s, to include PE and English
satisfactory attainment of a relevant SCQF Level 5.
Applicants who do not have an appropriate PE qualification will be invited to attend a practical assessment.
Applications are encouraged from mature students who do not possess formal qualifications but have the skills to meet the academic demands of the course.
A satisfactory Protecting Vulnerable Adults (PVG) check is also required.
The course includes Higher and Intermediate 2 units from a range of subjects. You will also gain two National Progression Awards (NPA) at higher level.
• Exercise and Fitness: Free Weight
• Exercise and Fitness: Fixed Weight Training
• Exercise and Fitness: Circuit Training
• Sports: Activity and Participation Opportunities in the Community
• Sports: Investigate Activity Development Opportunities in an Organisation
• Provide Play Sessions in a Sport Environment
• Introduction to Coaching and Instruction
• Sports Science
• Sports Officiating and Organising - Recreational Basketball
• Sporting Activity Participation and Performance: Volleyball
• Sporting Activity Participation and Performance: Badminton
Option units include:
• Volunteering Experience
• PE Performance
• Fitness Skills
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
The course has an even balance of theory and practical and most classes will be delivered on campus.
Face to face teaching, supported with Virtual Learning Environment engagement.
Opportunities for coaching placements will be provided throughout the year.
Assessments are varied and will consist of the following: Closed book, Open book, Practical, Portfolios, Presentations, Essays.
How long will my course last?
Full time - 1 year.
Where can I study my course?
- Moray College UHI
- Speyside High
The good news is that depending on your personal circumstances there are a wide range of bursaries, grants and allowances available to fund your college studies.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Further study may include an HNC/D in:
• Coaching and Developing Sport
• Fitness, Health and Exercise
• Leisure Management
• Sports Therapy
Employment initially at operative level within leisure and sports centres, however, students should have developed the skills to take advantage of coaching and supervisory posts.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.