Sport and Fitness: College Certificate SCQF Level 5
What is special about this course?
The world of sport and fitness offers a wide range of exciting and satisfying careers across coaching, outdoor adventure tourism and health promotion.
The aim of this course is to provide you with a background knowledge of duties in the sport and fitness industry as well as developing general education skills.
You will have opportunity to explore a number of aspects of sport and fitness studies in a theoretical and practical way.
This course will provide opportunities to visit local and regional leisure facilities. It will also give you the opportunity to participate in a residential trip at the end of the academic year.
- This course is ideal to enhance your practical skills
- You will have the opportunity to teach in the community
- You will build your confidence, leadership and communication skills
- Small student numbers mean there is a close working relationship between you and the staff
- You will benefit from strong industry connections
- There may be opportunity for you to gain your National Pool Lifeguard qualification alongside other Governing Body coaching awards
Two National 4s, one of which must be PE
satisfactory attainment of a SCQF Level 4 course.
If you do not have an appropriate PE qualification, you will be invited to attend a practical assessment.
Applications are encouraged from mature students who do not possess formal qualifications but have the skills to meet the academic demands of the course.
A satisfactory Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) check is also required to enable participation in placement.
Course content includes:
- Contemporary Fitness and Exercise Training Methods
- Sport and Fitness: Coaching and Development
- Human Anatomy, Physiology and Physical Activities
- Nutrition, Health and Wellbeing
- Teamwork through Sport and Recreation Activities
- Communication · Information and Communication Technology
Optional units include:
- Sport and Recreation: An Introduction
- Sporting Activity, Participation and Performance: Indoor Football
- Sports Officiating and Organising - Association Football
- Fitness Project
- PE Performance
- Sporting Activity, Participation and Performance: Tennis
- In-house Tournament
Kit required includes:
- PE kit
- Outdoor kit
Most of your kit and equipment costs (except stationery) may be covered by a College bursary, which you must apply for separately.
The bursary will also supply a hooded sweatshirt, polo shirt and exercise t-shirt so that you are fully equipped for the course.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
Face-to-face teaching, supported with Virtual Learning Environment engagement.
At times you may be out in the community helping to deliver sports sessions.
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Moray College UHI
The good news is that depending on your personal circumstances there are a wide range of bursaries, grants and allowances available to fund your college studies.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On successful completion of this course you can progress to further study which may include Sport and Fitness: College Certificate (SCQF Level 6).
Alternatively, you can enter into employment as a Leisure Attendant in sports halls, leisure centres or leisure clubs in hotels.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Sport and Fitness: College Certificate SCQF Level 5
We are no longer accepting applications for 2020/21
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Moray College UHI. Moray College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.